Ministry of Works and Development

The New Zealand Ministry of Works and Development, formerly the Department of Public Works and often referred to as the Public Works Department or PWD, was founded in 1876 and disestablished and privatised in 1988. The Ministry had its own Cabinet-level responsible minister, the Minister of Works or Minister of Public Works.

The Head Office of the Ministry was in the Vogel Building in Wellington, named after former Premier Sir Julius Vogel, who helped create the Public Works Department during his term in office, through the Immigration and Public Works Act 1870. This building held the Vogel Computer, one of the largest in New Zealand and used by several government departments for engineering work. The Ministry moved to the Vogel Building in about 1965 from the Old Government Building on Lambton Quay.

The ministry was renamed the Ministry of Works on 16 March 1943 under the Ministry of Works Act. This was to reflect the extended wartime functions, when the Minister explained it was, “to ensure that, whilst the building and constructional potential of the country is limited by war and immediate post-war conditions, it is assembled and utilized in the most efficient manner from the point of view of the national interest”.

During the latter years of the Ministry there were seven District Offices (Auckland, Hamilton, Wanganui, Napier, Wellington, Christchurch and Dunedin) each headed by a District Commissioner of Works. In each District there were a number of Residency Offices (headed by a Resident Engineer) and each had a number of Depots. In addition there were Project Offices set up for a particular purpose, such as to build a power project, airport, tunnel or irrigation scheme.

While the policy functions were either disestablished or passed on to other Government departments, the commercial operations were set up as Works and Development Services Corporation (a state-owned enterprise) and the computing bureau and the buildings maintenance units were sold. The corporation had two main subsidiaries, Works Consultancy Services and Works Civil Construction waterproof cellphone bag. These were sold in 1996 and became Opus International Consultants and Works Infrastructure respectively, and the corporation was disestablished.

In the North Island, the Tongariro Power Scheme was completed between 1964 and 1983.

Under the Public Works Act 1876, the Department of Public Works was responsible for the operation of New Zealand’s railway network from 1876 until 1880, when operations were transferred to the New Zealand Railways Department. This transfer did not end the PWD’s railway operations plastic sports water bottles, as it still operated railway lines when under construction, sometimes providing revenue services prior to the official transfer of the line to the Railways Department. The PWD owned its own locomotives and rolling stock, some second-hand from the Railways Department, and it operated some small railway lines that were never transferred to the Railways Department. One example is a 6.4 km branch line built in 1928 from near the terminus of the Railways Department’s Kurow Branch to a hydro-electric dam project on the Waitaki River. This branch was not solely used to service the dam project; the PWD used its own rolling stock to provide a service for school children who attended school in Kurow, and occasionally special Railways Department trains operated on the line with PWD motive power, including a 1931 sightseeing excursion to view the under-construction dam. This line was removed in April 1937 as the PWD no longer required it.

Locomotive fleet numbers came into effect in the 1905 financial year. The block of numbers 501 to 550 were reserved by PWD, whilst numbers 1-500 and 551 onward were NZR locomotives. In later years, this agreement with New Zealand Railways Department was given flexibility water bottle thermal. From World War 2, PWD used a new system of fleet numbers, with the year of introduction, followed by actual fleet number.


Posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , by with no comments yet.

Moshe Mann

Moshe Mann (Hebrew: משה מן‎‎; 13 April 1907 – 17 October 2004) was an Israeli military officer who was the first commander of the Golani Brigade.

Moshe Mann was born in Turka, Poland (today Ukraine) water bottle thermal. He immigrated to Mandatory Palestine in 1926 from Lviv fabric battery, as part of HaShomer HaTzair movement. He lived in a kibbutz near Haifa and participated in the founding of the National Kibbutz Movement uniform creator football. He joined the Haganah and moved to Merhavia.

Mann was involved in building several pre-state Jewish police and paramilitary organizations, including the Notrim, Hish and Palmach.

He participated in the Haganah’s first rifle course and became an instructor. One of his students was Yigal Allon. He was then responsible for commanding the Afula area forces, and from 1939 the entire Jezreel Valley. During this time he worked with Orde Wingate. In 1942 he was tasked with curbing the activities of the Irgun and Lehi in his area under the nickname “Saadya”.

With the forming of the military structure of the Haganah from 1946 onward, Mann was appointed to head the newly created Levanoni Brigade, controlling the north of the country. As the 1947–48 Civil War in Mandatory Palestine broke out, the brigade split into two—Golani and Carmeli—and Mann got the command of Golani. One of Mann’s first actions as commander of the north was to organize the Jewish pioneers in the Birya affair stainless steel water bottles safety.

During his tenure as Golani commander he was responsible among other things for the call-up of able men and women into the brigade and HIM in the areas under Golani’s jurisdiction, and acquiring arms from the local population for the war effort. The most notable events of his tenure as commander of that brigade were the Battles of the Kinarot Valley in May 1948.

Mann had tensions with the IDF high command after Moshe Dayan was appointed to an unspecified post in the Golani Brigade, technically higher than a battalion commander (a post usually reserved just for the brigade commander), and Moshe Carmel was appointed his superior as commander of the northern front. After Mann’s wife Zilka died in an Iraqi air raid on his home village on 31 May 1948, Mann quit the military and returned home.


Posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , by with no comments yet.

Kelme Outlet | Le Coq Sport Outlet

kelme paul frank outlet new balance outlet bogner outlet le coq sportif outlet brand bags cheap bags sale bags online